Sunday, August 5, 2012

Shalom to the Sass




שלום חברים!
My Hebrew is getting better!!  Oh, and I apologize in advance for the typos/weird placement of commas and periods.  It's trickier than I thought to type in English on a computer that's so used to Hebrew.  

So the LA Diller teens are almost at the end of our trip, and we've thoroughly enjoyed Community Week.  Each teen has been assigned to a certain group for the week, like Tikkun Olam (my group) and Exploring Tel Aviv, and each group is given at least one day for activities relating to its topic.  

After saying goodbye to Congress, we traveled by bus to Tel Aviv, where the "fun" group led us in bonding games and created an activity for exploring Tel Aviv's shoreline.  We left for our buddies' houses, and I was met with the most amazing traditional Israeli barbecue on the rooftop of my buddy's apartment. A few other LA Dillers joined us for chicken kabobs, some Israeli version of garlic bread, and beef kabobs skewered on cinnamon sticks (unfortunately, I don't eat red meat, but they smelled incredible).  We also had chicken hot-dogs and a chunky tomato sauce that resembled bruschetta (I don't know why I keep relating Israeli dishes to Italian food.)  Oh, and there were endless amounts of hummus and tahina

Our next day focused on exploring Tel Aviv, and we started the morning at the Rokach Museum, which is actually owned by the family of one of the Tel Aviv fellows.  




We learned about Tel Aviv's history and culture from American and Israeli activities, and after lunch, we went to Independence Hall, the place where Israel was officially made a Jewish state.  We were also lucky enough to have the opportunity to talk to a deputy mayor of Israel, who had interesting insight on Tel Aviv's biggest achievements and issues.  My favorite part of the day was a planned scavenger hunt that allowed us to explore the best parts of the city.  It also allowed us to take memorable pictures, including one with some very friendly IDF soldiers.  After hours of walking up and down Tel Aviv's streets, we went to Ariel Steinberger's house for the opening reception.  Many of us went to Max Brenner after the reception in order to celebrate the birthday of an LA fellow.  Until Wednesday, I had never seen so many ways of dealing with chocolate.  I fully support the Max Brenner franchise.   

The next day focused on Israeli culture, and we started the day with some Israeli childhood games and touring at the Tel Aviv Museum of Art.  My favorite part of the day was our visit to the gay center, where we heard the incredible stories of three individuals who are now proudly open about their sexualties.  We also learned about options for Israeli teens after turning 18, and met an American IDF soldier who made Aliyah after finishing college.  Later in the day, we experienced a dance workshop at a local teen nightclub.  I discovered my natural ability while learning the steps to a song called "Latinos,"and found that I have officially mastered the Horah grapevine after over 20 bar/bat mitzvahs of experience.





















Friday was dedicated to Tikkun Olam, and the morning brought us one of the most enlightening experiences that we've had on this trip.  Our visit to "Dialogue in the Dark" taught us the importance of accepting the cards we've been dealt in life.  The exhibit is in complete darkness and visitors are forced to rely on senses besides sight.  My biggest shock was the realization that our tour guide (who we didn't  see until the end of the tour) was blind.  Because it was my first time at the exhibit, I hadn't been informed that all of the exhibit's tour guides are blind.  Our tour guide had an incredible story.  A degenerative gene in his body activated itself when he was 28, and he's been living with blindness for 7 years.  He basically grew up knowing he would eventually become blind.  His positivity, however, emanated from his words and his smile as he proudly told us that after losing 95% of his vision in a week, he took only 3 months to begin living completely on his own.  

The other highlight of the day was our volunteer work with African refugees and immigrants in a park.  I sat with another Diller Fellow and began talking to one of the people who had found refuge in Israel.  He had escaped his native Togo after it became too dangerous for him to live there, and he proceeded to spend time in Libya and Egypt until he made it to Israel.  All of his family, including his wife, still lives in Togo, and he talks to them via cell phone, yet hasn't seen them in 5 ½ years.  That is the kind of story that one can only find in Israel.  We also were able to participate in  impromptu African drum circle, with one of the LA Dillers (who happens to be a drummer) joining in and keeping up with the rapid rhythm.  

My Shabbat that night was spent with all of my buddy's family as we enjoyed a traditional Moroccan dinner and discussed the fact that the Americans always win the Olympics.  The next morning, my host family introduced me to a traditional Yemen breakfast, which included a delicious resemblance of a puff pastry with tomato sauce. Later that day, I travelled with my buddy's family to Jaffa, where we explored the city and I heard a Muslim call to prayer for the first time.  We ate dinner at an amazing Arab seafood restaurant where the appetizers spilled off the table.  I had the best hummus I've ever had, as well 4 other sauces and at least 7 other dishes, including falafel and cooked cauliflower.  We also went to an old Tel Aviv train station which has been converted into a shopping area.  I learned about a project in Tel Aviv that has spread pianos throughout the city, and I was thrilled to discover one and play it for a few minutes while admiring the artwork that covered its structure.  

Today, we learned about Jewish identity.  We discussed what Jewish identity means to us, and how our various religious sects influence our ideals and our opinions.  The leaders of the day brought up controversial issues like intermarriage and inconsistencies in the Torah, and I was thankful for the respect and tolerance shown by every member of our group.  We also toured Beth Hatefutsoth, an exhibit documenting Jewish culture and heritage throughout our existence.  We were given cameras and asked to take pictures of relevant pieces within the museum.  We later presented our finds to the group and discussed how they demonstrated Jewish identity.  

Our next stop was the Carmel market, a busy Tel Aviv shouk with incredible deals and opportunities for souvenir buying. We were each given 10 sheckles to buy things that represented Jewish identity.  I bought a hamseh with the inscription "Hai," because I feel that Judaism focuses on living life well.  We exchanged our gifts within our cohort after our visit, and then returned to our host families for a family night.  




















host family's house, we ate Japanese food with four other Diller teens, and enjoyed ice cream and traditional Arab cake for dessert.  I was also able to watch synchronized swimming on the Olympics today, and have decided (perhaps rather harshly) that it stretches the definition of "sport."  

I've been having an amazing time and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to leave this place that I've developed such a connection to in such a short span of time!
America, I'll see you soon!
Chelsea

1 comment: